The 2016 Science Fiction Short Story Contest is now closed. If you submitted a story, you will hear from us by September 18th whether or not your story has been accepted and what the next step is.
Thank you for participating!
Word Branch Publishing is happy to announce that we are now accepting short story submissions for the 2016 anthology. This will be our third year that we will open this opportunity to sci-fi writers across the globe (and beyond!) to raise money for a literacy charity to be chosen before publication. All writers of chosen short stories will receive a copy of the 2016 anthology, a substantial discount for additional copies, and inclusion in advertising and press releases for the anthology.
There is no charge for submission, but we do have a few guidelines:
Deadline for Submissions is Midnight, 31 August 2015--Don't Wait!
How to Submit
Because of the large number of submissions we have to process, we have a strict format. Any submission that doesn't meet our standards will be rejected.
- To be considered, please send your manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All submissions must have 2016 SF Short Story Contest in the subject line.
- Short stories must be attached as a Word or RTF document--do not paste into the email.
- Do not attach your bio or photo. If your short story is chosen, we will request the information.
- The short story must include in the upper left corner, your name, email address, mailing address, and word count.
- Any submissions received after the deadline will be excluded.
Name the Anthology Contest
Have a great name for our 2016 anthology? Enter your pick to be eligible to win a copy of the paperback edition. Entries must be short, relevant, and reflective of our mission: to give a voice to new science fiction writers.
Fill out the form to the left with your entry. Deadline is September 1st, 2015.
The Not So Fine Print
- Writers will receive no money for their published short stories.
- The chosen charity will receive the profits from the sale of the book by April of 2017.
- Authors must agree to not publish their accepted short story in any other venue for a period of 120 days after publication with the Word Branch anthology.
- The official release date will be January 1, 2016. However, all efforts will be made to make the anthology available by December 1, 2015 for authors who wish to purchase copies for holiday gifts. It will remain on sale for all of 2016.
- All complimentary copies will be mailed out as soon as possible after availability.
- Writers whose stories are chosen, but don't comply with editing or other requests, will be dropped from the publication.